How to tell if your sterling silver jewelry is real 92.5?


925 sterling silver is a popular metal used to make jewelry and other decorative items.

Well, pure silver is not just made of silver. It contains 99.9% silver and a small number of other metals such as copper. On the other hand, pure silver is composed of 92.5% silver, and the remainder is composed of copper (mainly copper). This is why sterling silver is usually called 925 sterling silver or just 925 silver.

The reason why it is necessary to combine silver with other metals is that it is very difficult to use pure silver only, because pure silver is very soft and malleable. A bit of hardness must be introduced by adding other metals (such as copper). This is why jewelers can use 925 sterling silver to make the most intricate and intricate designs.


Why do you need to learn how to distinguish?

Modern 925 silver jewelry is certainly not cheap. Whether you want to buy sterling silver, you need to invest a lot of money in pendants or rings. But this is a worthwhile investment because its value will increase over time. However, it is important not to be tricked into buying fake 925 sterling silver jewelry.

This is a serious problem because as we all know, many jewelers are selling counterfeit sterling silver. Necklaces, rings, earrings, etc. Sterling silver is much cheaper than expensive metals (for example, gold), but imitation sterling silver jewelry imitations have been sold in large numbers on the market.

For example, silver-plated jewelry is usually sold as real sterling silver jewelry. The silver content in these jewels is extremely low and will inevitably deteriorate, sooner or later. Jewelry is considered premium silver if it contains 92.5% (or more) sterling silver, but sterling silver is too soft to be used without other metals. Therefore, copper and nickel are usually blended to make up the remaining 7.5%.On the other hand, Silverplate is different from real silver because only the surface of the jewelry is covered with real silver, while the rest of the items are made of copper or nickel alloys.


5 steps can help you determine if your sterling silver jewelry is authentic 92.5

  • "Hallmark" test

Check the silver jewelry around you for marks called "signs" (for this, you may need a magnifying glass). The imprint of the number "925" indicates that the jewelry piece contains 92.5% pure silver. Other markings may be "Pure Silver", "Ster" or "Sterling". The mark can usually be engraved on a larger part of the jewelry work.

  • "Magnet" test

Keep an ordinary magnet above or near the jewelry. Sterling silver is not magnetic, so if your jewelry is attracted by magnets, it is not real 92.5 sterling silver or more. The alloys made from your jewelry may have different composition percentages.

  • "Weight" test

Another easy way to determine whether your jewelry is genuine 925 sterling silver is to compare it with objects made of known real silver of similar weight. If the weight is the same, your silver jewelry is more likely to be genuine.

  • "Science" test

Here you must wear some goggles and gloves and wear them well. Then add a drop of nitric acid to a small portion of the silver in the jewelry. If it turns green, it is not made of pure silver. Nitric acid is a chemical substance with a high copper content that can discolor non-silver items.

  • "Easy Test" test

I saved the simplest things. Try to gently wipe your silver jewelry with a soft, light-colored cloth. If there are black marks on the cloth, the jewelry may be pure silver. When exposed to air, real silver will oxidize; this creates a stain that will appear on the cloth when wiping.

In Blossom CS Jewelry, we are proud of the exquisite jewelry craftsmanship of 92.5 sterling silver. This is why we have used the 925 mark to mark all our jewelry pieces as proof of authenticity since many years ago. In addition, we accept various audits and laboratory tests to prove that our quality is transparent. For your next silver jewelry order, please choose Blossom CS Jewelry.

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
or reload the browser
Disable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentence2Edit in Ginger